Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Initial Response

The initial response to these poems was one of complete shock. These poems were written in the 1880's mainly, but were very explicit in what they described. One of my favorites was also one that was very risqué, "I get all muddled." It was written by Yvette Guilbert, and talks about all of the speaker’s lovers. It is obvious that she is talking about sex from the very first refrain: “When I want to talk of all my lovers, I don’t know why, I get all muddled.” I was shocked that she "lost her cherry while gathering grapes." The speaker also talks about how she does not know her son's father, because she slept with so many people It is not hiding its meaning (or lack thereof) in any way. I love that she is "thumbing her nose" at all of the "prude" poets of the time.

I always thought of the French as very comfortable with whom they were sexually, but I had no idea that they were so promiscuous in poetry. I admire and respect writers like Bronte, but I am glad that they were not all like her in the 1800's. There is a great lack of honesty in books that romanticize life too much, or those that try to hide the fact that people are sexual beings. This style of poems is the rebel of the time. They did not in any way try to conceal their sexuality: other poems try to hide it.

Another of the poems I read, “To the Officers of the White Guard,” by Francis Vilmorin, is very empowering and humorous. She, the speaker, is asking the officers of the White Guard to keep her from feeling the pain of falling in love with someone. They are very appealing, but she cannot be with them because she is married, or because she fears being overcome by another. I thought that this poem was sweet. All the other poems we read were not as connected to the human experience or reality as this one. They seemed like they were not supposed to be relatable. If I could choose any of the categories of this year’s poets to read, it would be the Symbolists.

No comments: